1. When we intentionally omit words from an original text, we replace them with ?
– ellipsis mark
2. For what purposes do we use the ellipsis?
– to indicate a pause in the flow of the sentence
– to introduce further details
– to mark an unfinished statement
– to indicate a pause when someone is speaking
3. What is the other name of the ellipsis mark?
– dot dot
– spaced periods
– suspension point
– suspensive point
4. Can we leave out punctuation that is in original, when we use ellipsis?
– absolutely no
– all the punctuations
– yes some of them such as comma
5. Which figure of speech is used when a positive is stated by negating its opposite?
6. What do we call the language that is used by a select group of people?
7. The jargon is usually used by ?
– Star Tekkies
– Medical Professionals
– Educational Professionals
– none of them
8. Which of these parts of speech can be descriptive words?
– only adjective
9. How many senses belong to descriptive words?
– all the senses
10. “The room looks tidy” Which part of speech is used for the descriptive word?
– adverbial modifier
11. Which one of these terms doesn’t concern to figurative language?
12. What is symbol?
– an ordinary object to which we attach extraordinary meaning
– an extraordinary thing to which we attach in significance
– an ordinary event to which we attach significance
– a word replaced by another word
13. If the writer take a new object, makes it embodiment of human concern, the symbol is ?
– inherited or invented
– it will not be a symbol
14. Are we able to articulate fully what a certain symbol means?
– generally no
– when it is inherited
– if the two objects are similar
– if it is powerful and well chosen
15. Characters and settings stand for something beyond themselves when we use …
16. What is the aim of an allegory?
– to increase knowledge
– to teach a moral lesson
– to describe an object
+ to make comment about goodness
17. Which figure of speech is used in this sentence? ” You are my sunshine”
18. “He is brave as a lion” Here is used…
19. Please, find the sentence with the symbolism
– Her head was spinning from the latest news
– An apple pie represents a traditional American lifestyle
– Time is a thief
– Busy as a bee
20. “Peter Pan is a symbol for eternal childhood” , what kind of symbol is it?
– handed down over time
– it is an allegory
21. Where is the word irony came from?
– from the Greek ” eiron”
– from the Latin ” eiron”
– from the Latin “iron”
– from the Greek ” airon”
22. In which of these sentences speech goes about synecdoche?
– its intended meaning is different from the actual meaning
– it replaces the name of a thing with another name
– a part of something represents the whole or vice versa
– larger groups refer to smaller groups or vice versa
23. Please find the sentence with the Simile
– It is like shooting fish in a barrel
– The soldiers were equipped with steel
– What a great idea!
– She is as cute as a lion
24. The final paragraph of an essay is called ?
25. Topic sentence, details and examples, concluding transition sentence belong to the ____ of an essay
26. Which part of an essay can be three or more paragraphs long?
– none of them
27. Name the three important things as you write an essay?
– subject, audience, purpose
– introduction, conclusion, body
– beginning, middle, end
– subject, body, purpose
28. Choose the right order in the structure of an essay ?
– body, introduction, conclusion
– introduction, conclusion, body
– conclusion, introduction, body
– it is okay if it is mixed
29. Can we use hyperbole as a joke?
– yes, by exaggerating certain characteristic
– yes, by adding certain characteristic
– it is always used as a joke
30. Please find the example of hyperbole
– The sky misses the sun at night
– She is happy as a clam
– Opportunity knocked at his door
– He is as skinny as a toothpick
31. What we should do before writing an essay?
– read the essay aloud to ourselves
– evaluate the topic in relation to the audience
– adapt our topic and language appreciate to the audience
– understand the audience’s perspectives
32. Narrative essay is the essay which…
– recalls an event or series of events
– explains, clarifies, illustrates
– write summaries that contain the main idea
– clarify, illustrates, explains
33. What is the purpose of an expository essay?
– to recall an event or series of events
– to explain, clarify, illustrate
– to write summaries that contain the main idea
– to cite facts from different sources
34. Response to the Literature shows that…
– you don’t understand the literally work and ask from audience
– you make conclusion of the story you have read
– you understand a literary work and make judgment with the audience
– you want to apply for employment
35. What type of an essay write summaries that contain the main idea?
– summaries essay
– expository essay
– narrative essay
– response to literature
36. “Do not act like Mr. Bean, hey you, curly hair!” Where is the antonomasia?
– Mr. Bean
– hey you
– curly hair
37. What is the function of antonomasia ?
– to give an appropriate appellative, epithet to someone or something
– to put a nickname to a person or thing
– to replace the names of two things
– to replace the abusive words with a satisfactory words
38. What is the purpose of descriptive words?
– to explain what something or someone is like
– visualize, describe, define information about someone or something
– how someone takes action or something is done
– to specify the time when something is done
39. What is simile?
– a figure of speech which compare two things without using “like” or “as”
– a figure of speech which replaces the origin name with a new name
– a figure of speech which directly compare things using the words “like” or “that”
– it doesn’t differ from metaphor
40. When do we use exaggeration?
– in daily life
– in political news
– on TV programs
– only in literature
41. What is hyperbole?
– it is the most spectacular thing in the history of the entire world
– it is used to spread information
– it is intentional exaggeration
– it is used to make less of something
42. Metaphor is a figure of speech which…
– compares two things by using the words “like” or “as”
– It is intentional exaggeration
– come from Greek
– compares thing by stating that one thing is anoter thing
43. Please, find the sentence that is not metaphor
– He is like an ox
– He is an ox on the fight
– He is a lion
– She was his life all the time
44. Please find the types of metaphor
45. Synecdoche is always confused with…
46. It helps the writer to achieve brevity, for instance, using “steel” instead of using “knives, swords, arrows”. The speech is going about
47. Please, find the example of antonomasia
– Pardon me please, oh my Lord
– Hey Nicole, look out otherwise you may slip
– You look today so beautiful
– My cat is nice
48. ” Hey, Cinderella how about going to the cinema?” Find the antonomasia, please
– going to the cinema
49. What is the difference between simile and metaphor?
– we use “like” or “as” in metaphor
– we use ” like” or ” as” in simile but not in metaphor
– the have no difference
– we can use both of them in any case
50. Which suggestion is not satisfactory for writing the perfect essay?
– use informal language
– read the essay aloud to yourself in order to notice errors
– use formal English
– understand your audience’s interest